SNOW HILL, Greene County - A 10-year veteran of the Greene County Sheriff's Office has been hospitalized after shooting himself in the leg late Thursday night, Green County Sheriff Lemmie Smith tells NewsChannel12.
Deputy Johnny Morris is being treated at Vidant Medical Center and is expected to recover.
The shooting, Smith said, appears to be accidental - a result of Morris' gun going off as he was in the process of removing it from his holster.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend