MOUNT OLIVE, Wayne County - A member of the maintenance facility at the Butterball facility in Mount Olive was killed Tuesday after being electrocuted.
Butterball spokesperson Christa Leupen said Robert McCullen, 28, was killed while doing routine maintenance on Tuesday. She said co-workers performed CPR after the accident occurred, but he could not be revived, even by the first responders once they arrived on scene.
"Butterball's first concern is always the safety and well-being of our team members, and we are deeply saddened by the death of a team member that occurred yesterday afternoon at the Butterball Mount Olive, North Carolina facility," Leupen said. "An accident occurred while an employee was performing maintenance duties and the employee died as a result of his injuries. We extend our heartfelt prayers and condolences to his family and friends."
McCullen had been with Butterball since 2010. Leupen said there would be an internal investigation into the accident, while OSHA would conduct its own inquiry into the incident.
"In addition to conducting an internal investigation, we are working closely with authorities and are offering our full cooperation during this investigation," Leupen said. "Grief counseling and support through the Employee Assistance Program is available at the facility."
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- Anchored for Life aims to help students with transition to new school
- Community shop helps local families get Christmas presents on a budget
- Camp Lejeune to enforce stricter base entry procedures
- The Geminid meteor shower is upon us and might be one of the best ever