FAISON, Duplin County - A Duplin County Sheriff's Office deputy is in an area hospital at this hour after being run down on NC 403 Wednesday morning.
North Carolina Highway Patrol Trooper C.L. Tripp said the deputy, Philip Jones, was directing traffic after a school bus broke down near the town of Faison shortly before 8 a.m. A man taking his children to school struck the deputy with his vehicle, Tripp said.
Jones was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington with internal injuries. Jones was identified as a school resource officer.
Tripp said the driver -- identified as Faison resident Thomas Pu -- was arrested and charged with driving on a suspended license and failing to yield- resulting in serious bodily injury.
- Law enforcement making sure people are buckled up during holiday travel
- Thanksgiving holiday set to be busiest travel week in decade
- Local donation drive aims to help veterans in need as winter approaches
- Local fire destroys Carteret family home
- State House Rep. Susan Martin says she won't seek re-election