HAVELOCK, Craven County - The US Forest Service will be conducting a prescribed burn over a 585-acre area in the Croatan National Forest off of Ferry Road, in the Cherry Branch community of Havelock on Wednesday.
Residents in the area should anticipate seeing smoke and increased fire activity, as well as a helicopter assisting with the operation.
According to the Forest Service, the goal of the prescribed burn is to reduce the amount of fuel on the forest floor and assist with wildlife habitat improvement.
- ECU student killed in Charlotte car crash
- Two students chosen to have their artwork on school Christmas card
- Greenville man facing numerous drug trafficking charges makes first appearance
- Medical examiner: Teen found dead in Falls Lake drowned, had drugs in system
- Community continues to mourn loss of Mariah Woods through vigil