LAS VEGAS - One of the 515 people wounded in Sunday night's mass shooting in Las Vegas is a New Bern native.
Family members confirmed to NewsChannel 12 Curtis Leoni was shot Sunday. TV station 9News.com reports Leoni, a New Bern High School graduate, is a detective with the Englewood (Colorado) Police Department and was off-duty at the time of the shooting.
The TV station said he was attending the three-day Route 91 Harvest festival that started Friday in Las Vegas, one of an estimated 22,000 people in attendance. There were no reports of the extent of Leoni's injury.
"He called me prior to me turning the news on," said Leoni's sister, who asked not to be identified because of her profession. "I wasn't aware anything happened so he called me just to let me know when I saw it on the news that he was OK."
The TV station also reports one of Leoni's family members was in contact with him early Monday and, at the time, were waiting to learn when he would be released from the hospital.
- Jacksonville celebrates anniversary of ratification of 13th amendment
- N.C. Arts Council to honor 74-year-old musician for years of work
- Officers on paid leave as SBI investigates shooting in Kinston
- Future of local clinic's unique drug addiction treatment program in jeopardy
- ECU student killed in Charlotte car crash