NEW BERN, Craven County - A man accused of exposing himself to a group of people - including five minors - at a New Bern Wal-Mart was arrested Saturday after leading authorities through a high-speed chase that spanned two counties.
Dontes Smallwood, 25, of Trenton, was arrested near the Jones County Courthouse Saturday night, according to the Craven County Sheriff's Office. CCSO Spokesman Investigative Sgt. Mike Sawyer said Smallwood was booked into jail on five felony counts of indecent exposure to a victim under 16, felony fleeing to elude law enforcement, two counts of reckless driving to endanger, two counts indecent exposure by exposing private parts in a public place, driving with a revoked license and speeding. His bond is set at $95,000 secured.
According to Sawyer, deputies spotted Smallwood driving down Glenburnie Road following the indecent exposure call. When they attempted a traffic stop, Smallwood took off, leading deputies on a chase down US 17 South into Jones County.
Deputies from the Jones County Sheriff's Office and the Trent Woods Police Department assisted in the chase.
- Updated N.C. Arts Council to honor 74-year-old musician for years of work
- Officers on paid leave as SBI investigates shooting in Kinston
- Future of local clinic's unique drug addiction treatment program in jeopardy
- ECU student killed in Charlotte car crash
- Greenville man facing numerous drug trafficking charges makes first appearance