NEW BERN, Craven County - Despite the rain, Craven Community College put on a ceremony Thursday for POW/MIA Recognition Day.
The event kicked off with the singing of the national anthem before college president Ray Staats addressed the crowd.
"For our past and present POWs we need to recognize today what it would feel like to have our freedoms stripped away from us," Staats said. "No phones, no family, no going anywhere, no thinking what we wish at any time we might wish to. And then consider the cruel conditions that they had to endure and continue to endure while they were in prison."
Gov. Roy Cooper joined other states across the country in designating the day.
- Local man facing slew of child sex offense charges in Duplin Co.
- Havelock man captures careless delivery driver on camera
- Community shop helps local families get Christmas presents on a budget
- Anchored for Life aims to help students with transition to new school
- Camp Lejeune to enforce stricter base entry procedures