NEW BERN, Craven County - The first steps are underway for a bell tower that will serve as a memorial for past and present people involved with New Bern Fire & Rescue.
The bell tower will be located just outside the New Bern Fireman's Museum on Broad Street. The foundation is set and the 15,000-pound base was laid down Tuesday.
"It's going to have brick walk ways up to the monument and around the monument," former fire chief Bobby Aster said. We will have benches that all the firefighters have actually chipped in and helped pay for."
The cost of the granite base was covered through a donation from a New Bern resident.
- Updated Hurricane Jose holding steady, Maria up to Category 5 storm
- Improvements in LCPS has others wanting to know how it was done
- North Duplin Junior Senior High one of 22 schools to get garden grant
- Water discovery lab in Greenville opens doors to curious students
- New Greenville man arrested after weekend stabbing, shooting