NEW BERN, Craven County - UPDATE: A murder suspect had his first day in court Monday.
Willie Newkirk is charged with the murder of Travon Marlowe. He was arrested Friday. He went before a judge and will remain in jail under no bond.
His next court date is June 2.
The New Bern Police Department announced an arrest in the weekend shooting of a local man.
Willie Newkirk, 20, of New Bern, was arrested Friday, charged with the May 13 murder of 22-year-old Travon Marlowe. Newkirk was booked into the Craven County Detention Center on an open charge of murder without bond.
He is slated to appear in Craven County District Court on May 22.
The case remains under investigation, and anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call New Bern Police at (252) 636-2020.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Freemont woman charged after breaking & entering incident