NEWPORT, Carteret County - Multiple residents are reporting a new forest fire burning Friday afternoon that can be seen near the end of Crestwood Drive in Newport.
This comes on the heels of two fires set on Mother's Day in the Croatan National Forest that were determined to be arson. Both those fires were contained within 48 hours without any damage to structures, but nearly 85 total acres of forest were burned.
NC State Troopers told NewsChannel 12's Resita Cox they don't believe this fire is related to the fires that happened earlier this week.
Residents started seeing smoke around 9 a.m. on Friday. Firefighters began asking some residents to leave their residence around 1 p.m. As of 2 p.m. on Friday, planes can be seen flying over the fire.
5:30 p.m. news with latest from Resita Cox on the fire
Video from Danny Moreno
Photo gallery of pictures from the Newport fire
- Updated Maria still a Category 5 storm; Jose moving further north
- Irma victims from Florida staying in Kinston for now
- Updated Pitt, Lenoir County fairs back in town, ride safety a top priority
- Updated Pieces of historic shipwreck now visible on Surf City Beach
- New Bern man concerned about property's status in Virgin Islands after Irma