BEAUFORT, Carteret County - The Grayden Paul Drawbridge is now open to traffic again.
Shortly after 9 a.m. on Thursday morning, the Town of Beaufort announced the Grayden Paul Drawbridge was closed for emergency repairs. The bridge has been repaired and is now open, according to the Carteret County Sheriff's Office.
The bridge services the main road connecting Beaufort and Morehead City.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation is in the process of completing a new bridge that will replace the Grayden Paul Drawbridge. Current estimates are that the bridge will be ready for vehicle traffic by December and construction on the $66 million project will be fully finished early next year.
- Updated Organization pays holiday travel expenses for Purple Heart recipients
- Updated Greenville Police distribute 100 meals to needy families in area
- Rape suspect arrested after two months on the run
- 500-acre prescribed burn planned for Croatan National Forest
- Updated Missing dog creates quite the scramble in Carteret County