NEWPORT, Carteret County - A fire in Carteret County has left one couple without their family home.
The Beaufort Fire Department was dispatched to 360 Hardesty Road in Newport for a structure fire at 11:19 p.m. Sunday, November 19, officials said in a press release.
Upon arrival, heavy smoke and fire was showing from the single story residence.
The couple who owned the home was asleep at the time of the fire. Before going to bed, they had been sitting on their back porch using an older kerosene heater.
Tarps and quilts were used on the porch to block wind and retain heat, officials said in a press release. The couple recalls turning the heater off before going to bed, but they awoke to discover that the tarps and quilts were on fire.
The couple attempted to fight the fire with water hoses, but the fire was too advanced. The homeowners were able to escape the blaze -- one of them heading to a neighbor's home to call 911 for assistance.
The fire was controlled at 12:16 a.m., officials said. Beaufort Fire Department was able to secure the scene at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, November 20.
The whole house was burned down in the flames, leaving only the garage standing, the homeowner confirmed to NewsChannel 12. Officials deemed the residence a "total loss."
The couple lost their dog in the fire, along with most of their material possessions.
Harkers Island, Otway, Mill Creek and North River Fire Departments were dispatched auto-aid. Additional tankers were dispatched from Harlow, Marshallberg, Newport and South River Fire Departments. Morehead City Fire Department was also requested to stand by at Beaufort's Station 1, officials said in a press release.