BEAUFORT, Carteret County - Beaufort was one of 12 towns and cities in North Carolina to receive assistance with bicycle and pedestrian planning. It was not announced how much money the town would get.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Grant Initiative comes from the N.C. Department of Transportation. According to a press release, towns and cities were selected from a pool of 18 applications by an awards committee comprised of representatives from regional planning organizations and councils of government, local government planners and NCDOT staff from multiple units.
The plans that are funded are not for one specific project, according to the NCDOT. Instead, it's part of a comprehensive strategy for expanding bicycle and pedestrian opportunities within a community. Facilities, programs, services and regulations are addressed.
This is the 14th year of the grant, which has awarded more than $4.5 million to 183 local plans.
- Law enforcement making sure people are buckled up during holiday travel
- Thanksgiving holiday set to be busiest travel week in decade
- Local donation drive aims to help veterans in need as winter approaches
- Local fire destroys Carteret family home
- State House Rep. Susan Martin says she won't seek re-election