BEAUFORT, Carteret County - The annual Beaufort Music Festival kicked off Friday night and one of the bands taking the stage didn't have to go far to get there.
The New Bern-based "Strung Together Band" is made up of the Oliver family, which has been making music together the past two years.
"It started with music lessons with the kids and right after that we got Abigail a guitar when she turned 9 and right after that i got a banjo," George Oliver said. "It's great to be able to play in our home county, we saw the lineup and its great to be on that list."
The music is capped off Friday night by Nashville recording artists Muddy Magnolias. The two-day festival has a little bit of everything - from country to jazz to folk rock and even the Native American award-winning band Dark Water Rising, which will cap the event on Saturday.
The full lineup for the free festival can be found at BeaufortMusicFestival.com.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Freemont woman charged after breaking & entering incident