WINDSOR, Bertie County - A sergeant at the Bertie Correctional Institution has died after she was assaulted by an inmate Wednesday evening.
Keith Acree with the N.C. Department of Public Safety said Sgt. Megan Lee Callahan, 29, died at 6:20 p.m. after life-saving measures proved unsuccessful. The report of the attack came at around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Callahan, of Edenton, has been with the department since January 2012. She was promoted to sergeant in February 2016.
On Thursday, Gov. Roy Cooper ordered flags across the state to be lowered to half-staff in Callahan's honor. They are to remain that way through sunset on Friday.
Craig Wissink is being investigated in connection with the sergeant's death. He has been in prison since April 2004. He is serving a life sentence for a first degree murder conviction in Cumberland County.
"I am deeply saddened and send my heartfelt sympathies to Sergeant Callahan's family," said Public Safety Secretary Erik A. Hooks. "We will do all we can to support her family as well as the correctional family. The department will cooperate fully with the law enforcement investigation as well as conduct its own internal investigation."
The State Bureau of Investigation will conduct a full investigation into the sergeant's death.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Freemont woman charged after breaking & entering incident