BELVIDERE, N.C. - The North Carolina Highway Patrol says four people are dead in a Duke Life Flight helicopter crash in Perquimans County near Belvidere in eastern North Carolina.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, a Eurocopter MBB-BK went down around 11:30 Friday morning near Swamp Road and Sandy Cross Road close to the Amazon US Wind Farm East wind turbine complex.
CLICK HERE for the latest from ABC affiliate WTVD
The Perquimans County Sheriff's Office is handling the investigation at the crash scene.
Duke Health officials issued this statement:
"With deep sorrow we can confirm that a Duke Life Flight helicopter crashed early this afternoon near Belvedere, North Carolina. We are in the process of directly confirming information related to this incident and will share more information as it becomes available."
Authorities said the helicopter was flying to Duke Medical Center from Sentara Albemarle Medical Center when it crashed.
Duke has a fleet of aircraft to transport patients in need of critical care.
The sheriff's office has yet to release the names of those involved.
- Tips to keep in mind to keep children warm from cold temps
- Keep your outside pets safe from the cold weather this season
- Community Crossroads Center ready for help homeless through cold weather
- Military wife creatively includes deployed husband in Christmas card
- Vivian Howard's new restaurant opens in Wilmington