SWANSBORO, ONSLOW COUNTY - A local high school football player has been selected to play in the 2014 Under Armour All-America High School Football Game in Florida.
A ceremony was held at Swansboro High School Friday afternoon to present an honorary game jersey to Pirates star De'Andre Thompkins.
The senior has led Swansboro High School to a 3-1 record so far this season. During those four games, Thompkins tallied 192 rushing yards for two touchdowns and 144 receiving yards for three TDs.
The 2014 Under Armour All-America High School Football Game is sponsored by American Family Insurance. It is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Jan. 2 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. The game will be televised on ESPN.
Thompkins and the Pirates will be playing against Croatan High School (0-4) Friday night. Catch the highlights on The Blitz at 11:15 p.m. on NewsChannel 12.
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Greater New Bern Business Expo attracts thousands
- Updated Five years since Hurricane Irene made landfall in Eastern Carolina
- Updated Funeral for mother and three children murdered in Greenville
- In presidential elections, size doesn't always matter