WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, NEW HANOVER COUNTY - Two Eastern Carolina chefs are preparing to go head to head in the regional finals of the "Fire on the Dock" competition.
The showdown will be held Wednesday night at Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington. Gerry Fong, the chef at Persimmons Waterfront Restaurant in New Bern, will face off against Clarke Merrell, the chef at Circa 81 in Morehead City.
The chefs will prepare three dishes, using a secret North Carolina product revealed to them just hours before the battle.
Both chefs told NewsChannel 12 they look forward to the event.
"It's not in our own kitchens, we're starting everything from scratch, and working in close quarters- so it's a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun," said Merell.
"It's a Crystal Coast finish again this year, so we're excited about that," said Fong.
Fong made it to the final round last year, and took home second place. Winners of the regional final will go on to compete in "Final Fire" in Raleigh. The grand prize is $2,000, while the runner-up will receive $500
The event is part of the "Got to be N.C." Competition Dining Series.
- Updated Residents concerned wrecks at local intersection will only get worse
- Updated House Dems to FBI: Probe alleged Trump-Russian ties
- Updated Trump announces surprise meeting with Mexican president
- Death of senior leader al-Adnani caps bad month for ISIS
- Ryan Lochte's new endorsement deal is for crime prevention device