NEW BERN - A local business is helping the Havelock and New Bern football teams pay for their championship rings.
The Kellum Law Firm in New Bern is donating 1,000 t-shirts for the teams to sell. Players will sell the shirts at their schools for $15 apiece. The money raised will pay for the teams' championship rings.
The teams picked up the shirts Thursday at the law firm's office on Broad Street.
"They deserve to remember and to be honored throughout this community for what honor they brought to all of us," said Havelock quarterback Pharoh Cooper. Playing your last game and getting a ring is a great accomplishment. Something you won't forget for the rest of your life. It's a great experience."
During the championship games, New Bern defeated Porter Ridge 39 to 38 for the 4-A state championship. Havelock High School defeated Concord 55 to 21 for the 3-A state title.
- Updated South Korea's THAAD missile defense system gets land swap approval
- Updated Warren Buffett: Red-hot market not in a bubble, still looks 'cheap'
- Updated Transgender boy wins girls' wrestling championship in Texas
- Updated Academy Awards kills off wrong person
- Updated Perez promises to be Trump's 'worst nightmare'