NEW BERN - A local business is helping the Havelock and New Bern football teams pay for their championship rings.
The Kellum Law Firm in New Bern is donating 1,000 t-shirts for the teams to sell. Players will sell the shirts at their schools for $15 apiece. The money raised will pay for the teams' championship rings.
The teams picked up the shirts Thursday at the law firm's office on Broad Street.
"They deserve to remember and to be honored throughout this community for what honor they brought to all of us," said Havelock quarterback Pharoh Cooper. Playing your last game and getting a ring is a great accomplishment. Something you won't forget for the rest of your life. It's a great experience."
During the championship games, New Bern defeated Porter Ridge 39 to 38 for the 4-A state championship. Havelock High School defeated Concord 55 to 21 for the 3-A state title.
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck
- Updated Police name Manchester bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi