MOREHEAD CITY, CARTERET COUNTY - An author in Carteret County has turned 101 years old.
Gardner Kelly lives at the Harbor View Nursing Home in Morehead City. On Monday, he celebrated his 101st birthday at the home with five generations of family and friends.
Kelly was born at sea, and by the time he was 17, he was a ship captain and spent decades on the water.
Kelly writes about his adventures at sea and has several books published. He is currently working on another book. His works can be found at bookstores across Eastern Carolina.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday