MOREHEAD CITY, CARTERET COUNTY - An author in Carteret County has turned 101 years old.
Gardner Kelly lives at the Harbor View Nursing Home in Morehead City. On Monday, he celebrated his 101st birthday at the home with five generations of family and friends.
Kelly was born at sea, and by the time he was 17, he was a ship captain and spent decades on the water.
Kelly writes about his adventures at sea and has several books published. He is currently working on another book. His works can be found at bookstores across Eastern Carolina.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Stranded mariners saved after writing 'SOS' in the sand
- Updated Yellowstone National Park worker falls to death
- Trump's immigration pivot a buzz kill for Coulter's book tour
- Recovering heroin addict thanks officer who arrested her