A small town in our area gets a big donation from a well-known family -- and it's all to help animals.
The Jones County Sheriff's office received a $20,000donation for its animal crimes unit.
The money comes from Georgina Bloomberg, the daughter of New York mayor Michael Bloomberg. Georgina is a volunteer with the humane society, and was with the organization in March when deputies rescued 80 dogs and one cat from a Jones County home.
Now she's giving what she can to help the county fight animal cruelty.
"It's beyond our wildest dreams," Jones County animal crimes investigator, Tom LaBuda, said. "We now have the funding to provide and pay doctors and vets, and also pay for places to locate when we seize an animal."
LaBuda said the unit is on a tight budget, so the donation will go a long way. The donation letter also pledges another $60,000 is on its way to the county.
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill
- Updated Verizon to test 5G in 11 cities
- Updated Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star