A small town in our area gets a big donation from a well-known family -- and it's all to help animals.
The Jones County Sheriff's office received a $20,000donation for its animal crimes unit.
The money comes from Georgina Bloomberg, the daughter of New York mayor Michael Bloomberg. Georgina is a volunteer with the humane society, and was with the organization in March when deputies rescued 80 dogs and one cat from a Jones County home.
Now she's giving what she can to help the county fight animal cruelty.
"It's beyond our wildest dreams," Jones County animal crimes investigator, Tom LaBuda, said. "We now have the funding to provide and pay doctors and vets, and also pay for places to locate when we seize an animal."
LaBuda said the unit is on a tight budget, so the donation will go a long way. The donation letter also pledges another $60,000 is on its way to the county.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- New Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend