KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - Crews are investigating what caused a fire at an abandoned apartment building in Lenoir County Wednesday afternoon.
According to Woody Spencer with the Kinston Department of Public Safety, the fire happened on Shine Street at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The building that caught fire was unoccupied and no injuries were reported, Spencer said.
Firefighters said the first floor fell through as they were fighting the flames. They had to use ladders to go through the windows and roof of the building to finally put the fire out.
Traffic was stopped Wednesday evening about a block from where the fire was burning.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Officials said the building is a total loss.
In addition to the Kinston Department of Public Safety, Lenoir County EMS, the Southwood Volunteer Fire Department and the Sandy Bottom VFD all responded to the scene.
- Updated Jimmy Choo's stock is spiking. Here's why
- Updated 'The Rock' is Hollywood's highest paid actor
- Updated Hillary Clinton's California swing yields $19 million in 72 hours
- Updated Celebrate National Parks' 100th birthday by joining Obama on a (virtual) tour of Yosemite
- Updated Baby found in vomit saved