KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - Crews are investigating what caused a fire at an abandoned apartment building in Lenoir County Wednesday afternoon.
According to Woody Spencer with the Kinston Department of Public Safety, the fire happened on Shine Street at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The building that caught fire was unoccupied and no injuries were reported, Spencer said.
Firefighters said the first floor fell through as they were fighting the flames. They had to use ladders to go through the windows and roof of the building to finally put the fire out.
Traffic was stopped Wednesday evening about a block from where the fire was burning.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Officials said the building is a total loss.
In addition to the Kinston Department of Public Safety, Lenoir County EMS, the Southwood Volunteer Fire Department and the Sandy Bottom VFD all responded to the scene.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms