LENOIR COUNTY - The Lenoir County Agricultural Fair has been hosting rides and contests for 57 years. Mark Pilgreen has been with the Fair Association for 35 of those years. Every time the gate opens, there's always something new.
"We're having helicopter rides this year. We're having monster truck rides this year. We have the Star Family Circus. We have a man who will be shot out of a cannon which we've never had before," said Pilgreen.
One new attraction is the motorcycle globe. Oscar Garcia will be a rider in a 14-foot sphere. Fair business is in his blood.
"It's a family tradition. I'm the 3rd generation in the fair business. I've got three kids, and they want to get in the business," said Garcia.
No fair is complete without local farmers showing off their prized canned goods, produce and animals.
"Twenty-eight percent of the income here in Lenoir County comes from agriculture. I think some people forget that," said Tammy Kelly of Lenoir County Cooperative Extension.
Twenty-two thousand people are expected to attend this year's fair. For more information you may go to lenoircountyfair.org.
- Updated Manchester attack: What we know and don't know
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck