CAMP LEJEUNE - A local Marine is expected in court today. He and his alleged girlfriend were arrested and charged with shooting the Marine's wife to death.
Camp Lejeune officials said they've delivered Marquis Cheatham, 23, to the Onslow County Sheriff's Office to be transferred to Montgomery, Alabama, where the alleged shooting happened.
According to the Montgomery Advertiser, Cheatham is charged with one count of capitol murder in the Monday slaying of Ashley Cheatham in the city.
Marquis's alleged girlfriend, Dominique Atkinson, 21, has also been charged with capitol murder.
An official with Camp Lejeune confirmed Cheatham is being held by the Onslow County Sheriff's Office for a civilian transfer back to Alabama on the charges.
Atkinson is also reportedly in custody waiting for transfer to Alabama as well, according to the Advertiser.
The base delivered Marquis Cheatham to the Sheriff's Office on Friday.
According to the advertiser, Ashley Cheatham was found by first responders at about 7:00 a.m. Monday on the 3700 block of Lower Wetumpka Road.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Montgomery detectives are in North Carolina looking for more information on the crime. It is still under investigation.
- Updated Brooklyn's coolest hotels and hottest hangouts
- Updated Trump has 3,643 websites that range from TrumpEmpire.com to TrumpFraud.org
- Updated Snapchat Spectacles now for sale online
- Updated Angelina Jolie opens up about family after split with Brad Pitt
- Trump's promises hit Washington reality in first month