A Camp Lejeune Marine drowned off the coast of Emerald Isle, a base official said.
Lance Corporal Esrom Joseph, 19, was swimming with 2 friends Saturday night, when waves pulled him underwater, police said.
Joseph joined the Marine Corps in May, 2011 and was a mortarman for the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune. His awards included the National Defense Service Medal and the Global war on Terrorism Service Medal.
Joseph was originally from Louisiana. The Marine Corps, along with Emerald Isle Police, were still investigating the drowning.
- Officials: No threat following claims of man with a gun inside Walmart
- Officials investigating after two bodies found inside home that caught fire
- Five suspects in Lenoir County home invasion now in custody
- Down East Wood Ducks announce roster for start of season
- Updated NC State star Dennis Smith declares for draft