JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A Camp Lejeune Marine, accused of shooting and killing his wife in Alabama, had his extradition hearing Monday afternoon.
At the Onslow County Courthouse in Jacksonville, 23-year-old Marquis Cheatam agreed to go back to Montgomery, Ala. as soon as the Onslow County Sheriff's Office contacts Montgomery Police.
Cheatham, along with his alleged girlfriend, 21-year-old Dominique Atkinson, of Pender County, are both charged with capital murder. At Monday's extradition hearing, the judge ordered Atkinson to remain in North Carolina. Her next court date is scheduled for May 7.
Cheatam and Atkinson are accused of murdering Cheatam's 20-year-old wife, Ashley. She was found shot to death in Montgomery, Ala. on April 1.
Cheatam was arrested at Camp Lejeune, investigators said. He was on a three-day pass to leave the base when his wife was killed in Alabama, according to police.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend