WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - Legendary Washington High School basketball coach Dave Smith has passed away.
Smith died Wednesday morning, said the Hillside Funeral Home. Smith was 82 years old.
There is no word on his cause of death. Funeral arrangements have not been made.
Smith began his coaching career at P.S. Jones Senior High from 1957 to 1968, where he coached football, basketball and tennis, according to the N.C. High School Athletic Association.
He then coached basketball at Washington High School from 1972 to 1991. While there, he coached Dominique Wilkins, who became an NBA Hall of Famer.
Smith's varsity men's basketball coaching record is 520-233, including a 56-game win streak. He led his teams to two state titles and nine conference championships.
Washington High School's basketball facility was named the David W. Smith Gymnasium in 2011. Smith is a member of the NCHSAA Hall of Fame
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend