RALEIGH - North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper has filed a lawsuit against an alarm system company that he says made illegal robocalls to numbers listed on the Do Not Call Registry.
Cooper filed the lawsuit Wednesday against ISI Alarms NC, Inc. and owner William Jason Waller of Iredell County. The lawsuit seeks civil penalties for illegal robocalls the company made to North Carolina consumers.
More than 1,000 North Carolina consumers contacted the Consumer Protection Division after receiving misleading robocalls. Many consumers who reported getting calls had listed their phone numbers on the registry.
ISI Alarms is no longer operating but Cooper wants to make sure it pays for violating telemarketing laws.
The lawsuit comes 10 years after the Do Not Call Registry was launched to protect consumers from unwanted telemarketing calls.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Clinton Foundation official plays defense over accusations
- Updated Richlands Piggly Wiggly owner dies in his Emerald Isle home