RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - Legislative budget-writers toiled into the night hours Wednesday to finalize an annual spending plan for North Carolina government four days after announcing a deal, and a day after leading lawmakers described its main points.
Senate budget-writer Sen. Harry Brown says lawmakers plan to hold budget votes beginning on Thursday. The House may take until Saturday for its final votes on the budget negotiated with Senate leaders.
Legislators also are shaping plans that could continue their annual session for weeks or months.
Senate leader Phil Berger said after approving the budget, lawmakers may return in less than two weeks rather than shut down for the year. That would give Gov. Pat McCrory 10 days rather than 30 days to decide whether to veto the spending plan.
- Updated 2 powerful earthquakes rattle Italy
- Updated Governor tours storm damage, celebrates openig of Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston
- Updated SkyWest Airlines pilot accused of operating aircraft while intoxicated
- City of New Bern to celebrate Third Avenue extension
- Ex-congressman: 'If Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket'