RALEIGH - Legislative budget-writers are toiling to finalize an annual spending plan for North Carolina government four days after announcing a deal and a day after leading lawmakers described its main points.
Senate budget-writer Sen. Harry Brown says a finalized document won't be done until late Wednesday. Lawmakers plan to hold budget votes beginning on Thursday. The House may take until Saturday for its final votes on the budget negotiated with Senate leaders.
Legislators also are shaping plans that could continue their annual session for weeks or months.
Senate leader Phil Berger said after approving the budget, lawmakers may return in less than two weeks rather than shut down for the year. That would give Gov. Pat McCrory 10 days rather than 30 days to decide whether to veto the spending plan.
- Updated Big reward offered in local breaking and entering case
- Updated Scientists discover coin-sized night frogs in India
- Updated SpaceX aborts space station docking
- New Doctor says coyote followed him into work
- Divisive rhetoric from leaders like Trump, Duterte threatens human rights, Amnesty says