CRAVEN COUNTY - Authorities from multiple law enforcement agencies spent more than an hour Friday night searching for a man near Streets Ferry and River Roads in Craven County, near West Craven Park.
Investigators with the Pitt County Sheriff's Office tell NewsChannel 12 the incident began in Pitt County just after 7:15 p.m.
Deputies say they tried to stop Hiawatha Anthonio Keys, 28, on a traffic violation, but Keys kept driving. According to investigators, he crossed into Craven County, got out of his car and began running. Deputies, with the help of K-9s, found Keys hiding under a mobile home at about 8:40 p.m.
Keys, who's from Edwards, was arrested and transported to the Pitt County Detention Center. He has outstanding warrants in Beaufort County for possession with intent to sell and deliver heroin. Keys also faces several charges in connection with the chase. Those charges are driving without a license, felony flee to elude, reckless driving, and several other charges. He is being held on $200,000 bond.
Both the Craven and Pitt County Sheriff's Departments and the North Carolina Highway Patrol helped in the search for the Keys.
- Updated Former IU player alleges abuse at hands of Bob Knight
- Updated Drivers asked to be on watch as deer appear more on roadways
- Updated Man shot dead outside US Embassy in Kenya after knife attack
- Updated Woman wins $1 million trying to teach husband a lesson about lotteries
- Michael Phelps secretly got married