RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - Former colleagues are remembering Carteret County legislator Jean Preston for her tenacity and dedication to public education.
The General Assembly passed a resolution Wednesday honoring Preston's life. The Republican represented central coastal counties for 20 years in the legislature - 14 in the House and six in the Senate - until her final term expired last December. She died in early January from complications from a fall a few weeks before while visiting Connecticut.
Preston was a retired teacher, principal and school administrator who served as a co-chairwoman on the Senate Education Committee and education budget subcommittee.
Sen. Dan Blue also served with Preston in the House. He said Preston played a major role in education policy no matter which party led the chamber.
- Updated 'Pizzagate' shooting suspect pleads guilty
- Updated NFL seeking Thursday Night Football livestream partner
- Updated Extra security added to several Onslow County schools after alleged threat posted to social media
- Updated Investors yank $8.9 billion from US stocks
- Missing Tennessee student: School chief appeals for girl's safe return