Kinston murder suspect back in Lenoir County

Family: Kinston murder suspect turns himself in

KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - A man accused of a murder in Kinston over the weekend has been booked in the Lenoir County Jail, according to officials at the jail.

Sadequin Alif Anderson, 18, turned himself in to Raleigh authorities Tuesday, his mother told NewsChannel 12. Anderson was brought back to Kinston overnight Tuesday.

Police said Anderson shot and killed 33-year-old Anthony Miller. Officers found Miller with a gunshot wound at about 9:22 p.m. Sunday outside a building at Simon Bright Apartments in Kinston.

Investigators said Miller died while on the way to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. There is no word on a motive in the shooting.

The suspect's mother said she had recently sent her son away from Kinston because of all the violence in the city, making it impossible for him to be the suspect in the shooting.

The suspect's mother, Michelle Anderson, says her son was shot at last week, and that the people after him came to the family's home and shot at it too. One of bullets hit a car in the parking lot. Anderson was sent away to live with his father in Raleigh for protection purposes, and hasn't been back to Eastern Carolina since.

"I know my son didn't do it," the suspect's mother said. "He's not even living here, and we are getting proof that he was in Raleigh. We are getting cell phone records and statements from people who know he was in Raleigh at the time."


Police said they are actively searching for a man wanted in a murder in Kinston over the weekend.

According to the Kinston Department of Public Safety, 18-year-old Sadequin Alif Anderson (pictured above) is wanted on an open count of murder in the shooting death of 33-year-old Anthony Miller.

At about 9:22 p.m. Sunday, officers found Miller suffering from a gunshot wound outside the 22 building at Simon Bright Apartments in Kinston, police said.

Investigators said Miller died while on the way to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.

There is no word on a motive in the fatal shooting.

People who live in the neighborhood said multiple gunshots were heard echoing throughout the apartment complex Sunday night.

Neighbors told NewsChannel 12 the shooting started a block from Miller's home. After Miller was shot, he ran to his home and then to his neighbors, trying to get help. Neighbors said he then collapsed on the ground.

"It's just ridiculous. It's so sad when a life is taken. He was trying to make it home and went down right there between his apartment and the next apartment," said a witness who lives in the neighborhood.

Neighbor Martha Mitchell said she was watching TV when she heard the shots.

"It was terrifying. I heard the shots and it got so close it sounded like a machine gun," said Mitchell.

Mitchell said her son, who was upstairs in his room, told her someone shot through his window.

"The bullet came through the window, hit the wall, ricocheted and fell right beside his oxygen tank," Mitchell said.

Mitchell said this is the second time a bullet came through her windows.

"If the tanks had of blown up, we all would have been gone. We need to get together as a family and stop hating each other, and killing each other," she said.

The suspect's last known address is 205 West Highland Ave. in Kinston, according to police. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the Kinston Department of Public Safety at 252-939-3160 or the TIPS LINE at 252-939-4020.

Most Popular