NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - The New Bern Breakfast Rotary and The Athlete's Foot shoe store teamed up to provide shoes for hundreds of children in need.
Under the "Kicks For Kids" program, about 270 students in Craven County received new pairs of shoes and socks Thursday. The student were measured for their right size and got to pick out their new shoes.
"There's a real need, that basic need for kids to have shoes and comfortable feet and be able to wear shoes in the winter time," said Cinda Hill of the New Bern Breakfast Rotary. "[Thursday], we had one child that literally had all his toes coming out of the front of his shoes."
This is the 11th year the New Bern Breakfast Rotary and The Athlete's Foot have teamed up for the event. The "Kicks For Kids" program has grown from 75 recipients in its early years to nearly 300 students per year in the most recent events.
- Updated Court sets September 13 deadline for Clinton FBI emails
- Updated Kinston welcomes professional baseball back to Grainger Stadium
- Updated AP: Brazilian police charge Lochte with filing false report
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Men have 'gotta get over' their issues with equal pay
- Updated Trump: No legal status for undocumented immigrants