NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - The New Bern Breakfast Rotary and The Athlete's Foot shoe store teamed up to provide shoes for hundreds of children in need.
Under the "Kicks For Kids" program, about 270 students in Craven County received new pairs of shoes and socks Thursday. The student were measured for their right size and got to pick out their new shoes.
"There's a real need, that basic need for kids to have shoes and comfortable feet and be able to wear shoes in the winter time," said Cinda Hill of the New Bern Breakfast Rotary. "[Thursday], we had one child that literally had all his toes coming out of the front of his shoes."
This is the 11th year the New Bern Breakfast Rotary and The Athlete's Foot have teamed up for the event. The "Kicks For Kids" program has grown from 75 recipients in its early years to nearly 300 students per year in the most recent events.
- Updated Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Updated Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Fire reported in old Calypso Fire Station