PINE KNOLL SHORES - The 6th annual Kayak for the Warriors happened in Pine Knoll Shores, Saturday.
175 people kayaked and paddle boarded through the canals on the island to raise money to help wounded service members and their families.
The race route is 3.2 miles long. Many wounded service members and their family members took part in the event.
The organization Hope for the Warriors put on the event. More than $60,000 were raised from the kayak race and an auction Friday night.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms