CRAVEN COUNTY - A kayaker and his 6-year-old daughter stuck on an island in the Neuse River have been rescued.
According to the Coast Guard, high winds pushed the kayaker and his daughter out from Matthews Point Marina, near Clubfoot Creek east of Havelock.
The kayaker and his 6-year-old daughter ended up on Great Island, about 2 miles from the marina, the Coast Guard said. Officials said they received the distress call just before 5 p.m. Tuesday.
The Cherry Point Fire Department rescued the father and daughter from the island. They were not hurt.
- Updated Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Updated Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball
- Number of vehicle and apartment break-ins reported in Greenville
- A local family's battle with addiction