FAYETTEVILLE,CUMBERLAND COUNTY - Six more jurors are needed before the trial of the man charged with raping a killed a 5-year-old Fayetteville girl can begin.
Jury selection in the trial of Mario McNeill is set to resume Monday, with defense attorneys questioning three potential jurors already vetted by prosecutors.
After a week of questioning, attorneys have agreed on nine jurors. Three more jurors and three alternates are necessary before the trial can begin in Cumberland County Superior Court.
The 32-year-old McNeill is charged with raping and killing Shaniya Davis in November 2009. He could face the death sentence if convicted of murder.
Shaniya's mother also is charged, accused of selling her daughter to pay a drug debt. Antoinette Davis hasn't been tried yet.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County