FORT BRAGG - Jury selection is set to get under way for a U.S. Army general facing court martial on sexual assault charges.
Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair has pleaded not guilty of criminal charges including forcible sodomy, indecent acts, violating orders and adultery. Jury selection begins Tuesday for Sinclair's trial, which is scheduled to begin Sept. 30.
Seating the jury is expected to be a lengthy and complex process. In the military justice system, juries must consist of officers with seniority to the accused. In Sinclair's case that will require a panel of generals with two or more stars.
Sinclair is a 27-year Army veteran who commanded troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is accused of forcing a female aide with whom he had a three-year extramarital affair to twice perform oral sex.
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck
- Updated Police name Manchester bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi