FORT BRAGG - Jury selection is set to get under way for a U.S. Army general facing court martial on sexual assault charges.
Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair has pleaded not guilty of criminal charges including forcible sodomy, indecent acts, violating orders and adultery. Jury selection begins Tuesday for Sinclair's trial, which is scheduled to begin Sept. 30.
Seating the jury is expected to be a lengthy and complex process. In the military justice system, juries must consist of officers with seniority to the accused. In Sinclair's case that will require a panel of generals with two or more stars.
Sinclair is a 27-year Army veteran who commanded troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is accused of forcing a female aide with whom he had a three-year extramarital affair to twice perform oral sex.
- Updated Amanda Knox documentary takes media to task
- Updated Obama waits impatiently for Bill Clinton on Air Force One
- Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball