CHARLOTTE - A jury has awarded a Charlotte couple $1.7 million in a lawsuit against a local restaurant in connection with a head-on collision that killed the couple's unborn son.
Attorneys for Matt and Meredith Eastridge say David Canter Huffman, 25, was speeding in his Volvo on Oct. 29, 2010, when the car crossed the center line and hit Matt Eastridge's Toyota RAV4.
Police say Huffman died in the crash, as did the Eastridges' unborn son. Meredith Eastridge was a front-seat passenger and was six months pregnant. The attorneys say Huffman had been drinking at Eddie's Place, and that his blood alcohol content was 0.23, nearly three times the legal limit in North Carolina.
A telephone message left for the attorney representing the restaurant wasn't immediately returned Thursday.
- Updated Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Updated Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball
- Number of vehicle and apartment break-ins reported in Greenville
- A local family's battle with addiction