ONSLOW COUNTY - Jones-Onslow EMC is alerting its customers to a fraud scheme.
Several customers have reported receiving phone calls from individuals who claim to represent Jones-Onslow EMC, according to the company's website.
The individuals demanded immediate payment, usually within a short time frame, with a prepaid debit card to cover past-due accounts, payments not received or checks that did not clear.
The company is reminding customers that if they have an unpaid electric bill, they will be notified about overdue payment in advance. The company also said it does not require customers to pay their bills with a prepaid debit card.
If you have any questions or receive a call like this, you are asked to call the company's offices at either 910-353-1940 or 800-682-1515.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County