JONES COUNTY - Jones County leaders have asked Walmart to build a store in their county.
"Jones County is in dire need of a facility that will enable our citizens to shop in the same community in which they live," Jones County Board of Commissioners Chairman Zack Koonce III wrote in a letter to Walmart.
Koonce also wrote that citizens of the county must currently drive an average of 30 miles to shop at a Walmart.
Walmart has not yet responded to the county's letter, according to Frankie Howard, the county manager.
- Updated Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Updated Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Fire reported in old Calypso Fire Station