JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A young volunteer from Eastern North Carolina is recognized with a special honor from Congress.
Carol Ann Schwarzenbach, 16, of Jacksonville recently received the Congressional Volunteer Award in Washington, DC.
Senator Richard Burr and Congressman Walter Jones presented the award.
Schwarzenbach has completed more than 400 hours of volunteer service with the Onslow County chapter of the American Red Cross. She thanked her mother for encouraging her to apply for the award.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating