KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - IRS criminal investigators were at a Kinston tax office Monday, an IRS spokesperson confirmed.
The special agents were on official business at Tax Kings, on North Queen Street, the spokesperson said.
There was no comment from the spokesperson on whether or not there is an active investigation involving the business.
The business was open Thursday afternoon when a reporter stopped at the location.
The person who answered the door identified herself as the owner's sister.
She said the agents were there Monday for a normal audit; the visit was blown out of proportion and nothing out of the ordinary, she said.
Customers will continue to get their refund checks, the worker said.
The IRS spokesperson said that any Tax Kings customer who has a question a tax return can call the IRS at 800-249-1040, or visit irs.gov.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday