MOREHEAD CITY - The 2014 Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament is in the books with the boat "Inspiration" winning first prize with a 754.3 pound blue marlin.
Five blue marlin qualified for the tournament for the 56th year. In 2013, only two marlin were weighed in above 400 pounds, the weight needed to qualify.
Coming in second, the Eye Catcher pulled in a 606.9 pound marlin. Third, the Ava D with a 491.4 pound marlin.
Three fish this year were caught on the opening day of the tournament. Two other fish were caught on Thursday. All of the other fishing days, no blue marlin were weighed.
The tournament runs everyday starting Monday, June 9 to Saturday, June 14.
For more information on the tournament, head to http://www.thebigrock.com/.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating