FLETCHER, N.C. - Authorities say a school bus slid off an icy road in Henderson County and turned on its side, but there were no serious injuries.
School Superintendent David Jones said schools in the mountain county let out early Tuesday because of snow and the bus lost traction as it was taking high school and middle school students home around 12:30 p.m.
Jones says six students were on the bus. One student appeared to have a broken ankle and was taken to a hospital, while the rest were treated on the scene.
The Highway Patrol is investigating the wreck, but Jones says it appears the bus slid off the road as it entered a curve at the bottom of a small hill.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms