SWAN QUARTER - Hyde County commissioners terminated the contract of County Manager Mazie Smith during their meeting on Monday night.
The board voted, 4 to 1 to fire Smith. The firing was one of the first actions taken by the county's newly-elected board. Dick Tunnel cast the lone "nay" vote.
A news release sent out by the county on Tuesday said the board gave no specific reason for the action, but that "several commissioners cited comments of disapproval from the public regarding Smith's job."
- Updated Police monitoring crosswalks and school zones on first day
- Updated Mark Zuckerberg hopes to demo his AI butler next month
- Updated Woman sues Milwaukee Brewers over foul ball incident
- Updated Japan's first passenger jet had a nightmare weekend
- Updated Study: Most adults with depression aren't treated