SWAN QUARTER - Hyde County commissioners terminated the contract of County Manager Mazie Smith during their meeting on Monday night.
The board voted, 4 to 1 to fire Smith. The firing was one of the first actions taken by the county's newly-elected board. Dick Tunnel cast the lone "nay" vote.
A news release sent out by the county on Tuesday said the board gave no specific reason for the action, but that "several commissioners cited comments of disapproval from the public regarding Smith's job."
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County