SWAN QUARTER - Hyde County commissioners terminated the contract of County Manager Mazie Smith during their meeting on Monday night.
The board voted, 4 to 1 to fire Smith. The firing was one of the first actions taken by the county's newly-elected board. Dick Tunnel cast the lone "nay" vote.
A news release sent out by the county on Tuesday said the board gave no specific reason for the action, but that "several commissioners cited comments of disapproval from the public regarding Smith's job."
- Updated White House denies wrongdoing in conversations with FBI
- Updated JPD needs public's help identifying man wanted for questioning
- Updated India breaks taboos with new sex ed manual
- New Patriots' Gronkowski: 'No doubt' he will be ready for 2017
- Updated Judge: Only 1 other accuser can testify at Cosby trial