Jones County - A hunter was shot in the leg in Jones County Saturday and as of Sunday morning, is still in critical condition.
An unidentified man in his late 50s is said to be accidentally shot in the leg.
Jones County deputies say it happened at around 9:30 a.m. in a wooded area near Highway 41 on Saturday.
Saturday was the first day of open season.
According to deputies, the man was hunting in a hunting party. Another hunter fired a shot which is said to have ricocheted off the ground and before hitting the man in the upper thigh.
The man was medevaced to Vidant Medical Center.
A helicopter had to land on the Trenton/Cove City exit 41 bypass to pick the man up.
Authorities are not releasing the name of the shooter due to his age.
The incident is under investigation.
- New Eyewitness claims woman threw kittens from moving car
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn