NEW BERN - People gathered and partied at the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center Wednesday evening, in support of the Wounded Warrior Christmas Leave Fundraiser.
They met several Camp Lejeune wounded warriors, who inspired the crowd with stories about their service to the country. The warriors represented the approximately 200 wounded warriors who will benefit from the fundraiser, by now being able to go home for Christmas this year.
The Wounded Warrior Christmas Leave Fundraiser is sponsored by the Military Order of the Purple Heart. Now in its eighth year, the fundraiser has helped send thousands of local marines and sailors home to spend the holidays with their families and friends.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew