ONSLOW COUNTY - A large group of Marines from the 24th MEU came back to the New River Air Station Monday.
This follows several homecomings this weekend from the 24th MEU. The group is the Marine medium tilt rotor squadron 261. Almost 200 people are expected home in several aircrafts: 12 MV-22 Ospreys, 4 CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters, 3 UH-1N Hueys, and 4 AH-1W Super Cobra attack helicopters.
The homecoming happened at about noon. Hundreds of people waited for marines to be relieved from duty for the holidays.
The marines had been gone for just under 9 months. Many of them are coming back to children they've never met.
- Updated Woman has baby instead of kidney stones
- Updated Trump lays out 'urban renewal' proposals
- Updated The world's busiest Rolls-Royce dealer is in Abu Dhabi
- Updated Polls: Clinton leads in New Hampshire, tied with Trump in Nevada
- Updated Syrian airstrikes hit school, killing 20 children, rescuers say