JACKSONVILLE - A fire on East Drive in Jacksonville has left a family with nothing but their lives.
Sue White said she smelled the smoke around 7:30 Wednesday morning and called 911 for help when she saw flames in her laundry room.
"I caught out of the corner of my eye some flames, and I turned around, there were flames coming out between the washer and the dryer," said White.
Crews responded to 29 East Drive, but the home couldn't be saved. The inside was left decimated by flames and water damage. Jacksonville firefighters said the home is a total loss. Fire officials said the fire did likely start in the laundry room, and was probably caused by an electrical issue.
Sue and her husband, who is a retired U.S. Marine Staff Sergeant, have been in the home for more than 20 years.
"Possessions can be replaced, and my husband and I are fine. We have two daughters who live here, will be bunking out with them," said White.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend